Monday, November 5, 2012

Pre-party Fighting 11/3

Ok so it was raining and cold. I worked all night and most of the morning on getting my new lamellar completed. Sir Kaz was sick and stayed home. I was just off being sick and was fairly low energy. At 12:45 I seriously considered not going. Glad to say I made my gut check and dragged myself out the door. Fighters in armor where Duke Davin, Sir Villius, Sir Raukin, Constantine and myself. Also Duke Thorin providing excellent advice from the sideline. Observations as follows:


Likes
  1. I like the new lamellar. Is heavier than plastic but not bad. Way better than chain. I like the feeling of wearing armor. Mobility & flexibility was good. Also nice not to have to worry about taking damage.
  2. Oval shield felt better today. Still may be to big. The new handle and carrying strap worked really well. The motion and blocks are becoming more instinctive. I am starting to feel the shield and when I am using it correctly. Still flopped around a bit.
  3. I love fighting Davin! Possibly my favorite person to fight. The combination of speed, power and skill he brings to a fight is always a good test.
  4. This group of fighters is one of my favorite sets of people. They are all focused on the fight and this is one of the few groups of people that I actually feel relaxed with.
  5. Even though I really did not want to fight I did overcome inertia and answered the bell.
  6. I tried to throw flat snaps. I threw a lot of snaps but not a lot of flat snaps.
  7. I appreciate Duke Thorin's advice on the snap. I really like having Thorin there providing feedback. One of the things I took away from it is his example of being available even when not in armor. I need to do more of this.
Dislikes
  1. I am still frustrated with not getting the flat snap. I threw snap after snap and cannot get the damn thing flat. I am working on the pell, doing visuals and it is still not coming. I have gotten so many comments and feedback about my lack of a flat snap that I want to puke. At this point I feel like the lack of a snap is a indictment of my ability as a fighter and knight. I hate this blow. At this point this has become a burning hatred and my obsession is reaching a fevered level.
  2. Need a new gorget. The old one does not work with new lamellar. Will copy pattern on the one I borrowed from Misty.
  3. I am still not set on a sword weight\length. I played with 36 inches non-rawhide and it was not comfortable. Also borrowed a longer stick from Misty and did not like that.
  4. I need arm armor. What I am wearing keeps my arm from getting broken but not bruised up.
  5. Left hand protection behind shield is also an area I need to work on. Got hooked on the hand again.
  6. Looking forward to getting shoulder caps from Aesir. Took a shot off point of shoulder.
  7. I was getting more tired than usual during the practice. Not sure if just because I was coming of being sick or the new body armor or combination.

Over all I am pleased I fought. Unhappy with quality and the content of my fighting. Need to just remind myself it is a process and keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment